Sunday, July 31, 2011

To my grandfather..


I know I have disappointed you
in so many ways
I am not the person
you raised me to be.
I lost the faith
that was so important to you
But Grandpa, the only thing
I really ever had faith in
was you.

Your voice still rings
in my head
and I never forget what you've taught me
even if it seems I turn my back
on all the wisdom
that was my sole inheritance.
You are still my standard
And though you are not the only man
to hold my heart,
you remain the only one
who never broke it.

although your blood was never mine
I see your heart
and your strength
in my son
Your patience
and your wisdom
in my daughter.

Your absence in my life
is glaring, and impossible.
But I remember you when I dance
( know you taught me well)
and I remember you in the words of songs
I heard often from your own lips.
And I remember you when I need faith
because I could always find it in you.

You left shoes
much too large to fill
I miss you.

Lewis P Hicks 1909-1990
Father, Grandfather, Best Friend.



©photo property of Vivid X Photography( Family Portrait 1985)

2 comments:

Laena said...

This is so perfect, Max.

I have nothing more to say than that. Perfect.

Much love.

max xavier said...

Thank you, Laena. Back atcha :-)