Sunday, August 14, 2011

Not Beautiful.


  I have never been the woman
Society would call "beautiful"
  I am far too plain for that word,
with my imperfect skin
   and my crooked smile.
   my breasts,
            (or my body,)
will never grace
       a magazine cover
  but they served a much higher purpose.
    They have fed my children
  comforted their tears,
     and many a weary heart.
  My stomach bears the scars
  and the war wounds of birth
    and my hips are testament
 to late night dinners and not
   enough time for a gym.
 My thighs betray me
    and refuse to comply
with the standards of the jean industry.
  but they are warm, and soft
 And safe enough for a nap,
   and nimble enough to wrap
   around a lover's waist.
  No, society would never
call me "beautiful"
   But their definition is far
too limited  to encompass
 everything I am... 

©Natalie Simmons for Vivid X Photography  (Say Cheese)

12 comments:

Laena said...

Oh Max,
You are one of the most beautiful women I know... for all of the reasons you listed here and so many more. This poem is so perfectly beautiful, yet it doesn't begin to describe the beauty you possess.
You have such a beautiful heart, one that has experienced pain but is still tender enough to allow someone in. You have been hurt by those you loved... those who were supposed to love you... and yet you continue to allow yourself to love others.
Your confidence and strength are inspiring (truly), and you are more graceful and patient than I think you realize. A most beautiful woman whom I am so fortunate to call my friend.
And as for your exterior... I know I have commented on a self portrait in the past.
This is such a perfect poem, my beautiful friend.
Screw society! They're clueless! You're beautiful!!!

max xavier said...

OMG! Laena..did you say SCREW??? LOL.
Thank you, lovely, for the wonderful words. You paint me in a brighter light than I deserve ;-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
max xavier said...

Thank you, anonymous. I understood what you meant, but I am always uncomfortable with that label, in whatever capacity it is intended.
And yes, content removed to keep the peace.

Anonymous said...

Is this an up-to-date photo? You've seen mine. I'll wait to comment when I know the true answer. No lies

max xavier said...

I believe it was taken in June or July of last year, maybe earlier. But definitely in 2010.

Laena said...

...only the light in which I see you.
And yes... yes, I did say screw. There a lot worse words I could have used ;)

max xavier said...

Laena, you always make me smile.

max xavier said...

Anonymous,
That was an amazing comment, and you very much understand why I didnt share it. To answer your question. Yes. Please.

Mac Campbell said...

Beautiful poem. Needs to be published in something that women read. They'll look away from whatever they're reading at that moment and say, "Whoa! This woman speaks for me!"

max xavier said...

Thank you, Mac! I've been trying to comment on your stories, but the system keeps saying I don't have permission :-(

Mac Campbell said...

WTF??? I'll look into it!