Monday, February 20, 2012

Detente




  We are both
     battle worn
  and scarred
  from this war
    we wage.
 There has been
   blood spilled
      on both sides
  from sharpened words
     wielded in anger;
   a broken truce
draws lines in the sand.
 Your armor is tarnished;
      my tower in ruins.
 We have only a single
          kingdom
 to which we both lay claim.
      but only one of us
     may have ownership.
  the emissary of peace
     demands compromise
        but I will not
    surrender my ground
         without knowing
  if I trade my throne
        for chains.
  So you throw your
           white flag
    at my feet.
       take the chains
             I fear
       upon yourself.
            exchanging
     your sword
           for the
        uncertainty
    of my forgiveness..

No comments: